Men deserve cleaner, safer skincare, too. Whether a man uses a bar of soap for everything, or sneakily steals his wife’s lotions and potions… there’s a reason that men need their own skincare regimen designed specifically for their skin. The truth is that men’s skin is biologically different than women’s skin. Men’s skin is 25% thicker. Men’s skin is oilier. Men have larger pores.Read More
At 46 years old, I'm all about aging gracefully. I've never had any "work done"...not even botox which is quite common today.
With that said...aging, wrinkles and sagging skin is the pits. I'm always looking for ways to look and feel beautiful in a natural and safe way and sharing things I've found that I love.
Lately I've learned more about Facial Massage and I'm a fan...
The face is full of nerves and pressure points and is a great way to pamper yourself...while benefiting your skin. Facial massage is not a new thing. It's been used in Chinese medicine for a very long time...
Here's some benefits of Facial Massage:
We know how important excercise is for our body. Think of it like exercise for your face.
- It increases circulation by increasing blood flow and oxygen to the face which is like a "natural face lift".
- It helps your face products absorb better and deeper into skin so they can work even better.
- Relieves tension in the face...tension that can lead to more wrinkles.
- You'll look younger because the massage stimulates blood flow, which increases collagen and over time will help you have more youthful, glowing, firmer skin.
- Reduces puffiness by helping to move and redistrubute fluid and subcutaneous fat that can settle.
- Reduce stress and anxiety by relieving that facial tension.
- Helps congestion, allergies, even headaches, by releasing sinus pressure that can build up.
- Detoxes the body by stimulating the lymphatic system to release toxins (get those areas along the jawline especially).
- It FEELS GOOD. A great way to do something for YOU daily that's healthy!
When I first started facial massage I was surprised how much that the area around my eyebrows was painful when I massaged there...like it was sore. This really made me realize just how much tension I was holding there. Over time, that pain has gone away because I'm releasing that tension on a regular basis. I love that.
Facial massage can be done during a facial by a professional but there are ways you can easily bring the benefits of into your home by easily doing it yourself.
You can use your fingers to perform a facial massage on yourself, but I've found a couple of tools that I use and love...
Tools I use for at-home Facial Massage:
- Clarisonic Smart Profile Uplift 2-in-1 Cleansing and Micro-Firming Massage Device - This Massage Head smooths the look of fine lines and wrinkles, boosts the absorption of your daily skincare products, and with 27,000 micro-firming massages per use, delivers a pleasurable ‘spa-like experience. I love this...I even give my husband facial massage treatments and he LOVES IT. Don't tell him I told you that;)
- Jade Roller - the above device is my favorite but this is a less expensive option that I work into my facial massage routine too. The guys from Queer Eye For the Straight Guy recently talked about this...so you know it works because those guys know the best beauty tricks! Jade is naturally cooling. Just make sure you get one made with real Jade like this one I've linked. Oh and don't drop it because it will break.
- Ice Roller - I don't use this as much as the other two tools above, but when I'm feeling extra "puffy" and I need it...I'm glad I have it. I keep it in the freezer all the time and once in a while I roll my face and neck in upward strokes with this super cold roller that totally stimulates my skin and wakes it up! When I do use it, I use this one first with no product, then apply Face Oil or Serum, and follow with one of the above. Extra tip....this ice roller can be used on your body too, for example when I've had shin splints from running, I'll ice my shins and it works great! Also great for headaches. Here's what it looks like....
Products I use for at-home Facial Massage:
You don't want to use facial massage just with dry skin. First of all you don't want to tug on skin...you want the massager to glide on skin easily. Second massage allows products to absorb deeper into skin and work better, so I choose safe, high performing products that are like "nutrition" for my skin...
- Beautycounter Face Oils - Don't be afraid of face oils....especially these face oils. I think of them as "liquid gold". They're on BC's "Best of Beautycounter" customer-voted list and won Allure's "Best of Beauty" Award in 2017. Since discovering these face oils I will never be without them. They aren't synthetic like many face oils on the market, so they don't sit on top of skin, make you break out, or make you feel greasy...they absorb and moisturize beautifully. This is my go-to product whenever using my Clarisonic Massage Head.
- Countermatch Intense Moisture Serum - This is a super concentrated serum that bio-mimics your skin to give it exactly what it needs and nothing it doesn't. This one absorbs a little bit quicker than the Face Oil, so I use this with my Jade Roller, but doesn't work as well with the Clarisonic.
Apply product to face and then use your tool of choice in upward, outward strokes all over your face. When using the jade roller, I use it until it no longer feels cool on my face which is a couple of minutes. When I use the Clarisonic, I use it a bit longer...about 3-5 minutes. I try to use facial massage daily, but at least 3 times a week. Many times I do it right upon waking before I even go to the kitchen or have coffee. It makes my skin feel awake, alive, and hydrated. Starting the day like this is a great pick-me-up!
If you want to see me demonstrating both tools and products on video, head over to my Instagram @happywifestyle Story Highlights under "Beauty" and you can see them in action!
Enjoy, let me know your thoughts and if you give Facial Massage a try. If you need any help with which number Face Oil is right for your skin, #1 Brightening + Vitamin C, #2 Plumping/Hydrating + Jasmine, or #3 Balancing w/ Ylang Ylang, I'm happy to help!
Today I want to talk to you about nutrition for your skin, whether all "natural" products are safe, and what you NEED to know about oil-based vs. water-based products.... I also have a special GIFT with purchase offer for you, so read to the bottom! Enjoy!
A couple of years ago, I started learning that what I put ON MY BODY (products) was just as important as what I put IN MY BODY (nutrition).
I'm so excited to have found the Countermatch Line, it's what I consider NUTRITION FOR MY SKIN.
As I've swapped out my skincare and makeup to safer options over the past two years, I've learned a lot about what to look for and what matters most when choosing safer products...
At first, I thought NATURAL automatically meant SAFER.
When I first started the search for safer options, I thought if I chose a product that was "natural" or from a totally natural source, it meant it was SAFE. Well, it might be, but not necessarily. Here's why...
The word "NATURAL" doesn't always mean SAFE. This is because natural products aren't standardized and therefore can be a bit of a wildcard.
The biggest complaint about natural products is that they don't perform as well.
Natural products can really vary with their amounts of effective ingredients. That's why the performance isn't usually the same as traditional products. I know when I first started trying natural products, the performance just wasn't there.
Natural products aren't always screened for harmful ingredients, preservatives, or contaminants. These unwanted ingredients can sneak in through the supply chain even if the company has good intentions and no one knows if the product isn't screened for them on a regular basis. The truth is, most of these products are never being screened. If they are being screened, they may be screened ONCE, from one batch, and never again.
That's not good enough for Beautycounter. We are a completely transparent company and consider 1% to be too much when it comes to ingredients like Parabens.
When people ask me if Beautycounter is a completely "natural" brand, the answer is no. Beautycounter is so different because they put SAFETY over SOURCE which allows them to shine in being SAFER AND EFFECTIVE. Let me explain...
Beautycounter uses a small amounts of synthetic preservatives, but ones that are well vetted and won't harm our health. This creates a longer shelf-life and decreases contamination.
The truth is, unlike oil-based products, water-based products have to have a preservative in them for it to be safe for your health. If not, they can become contaminated with bacteria.
This is where Beautycounter really shines. They are able to make SAFER products with HIGH PERFORMANCE because they actually carefully regulate the amounts of the effective ingredients so they actually work like they should! They have mastered the delicate balance of the precise amount of an effective ingredient with the correct amount of a SAFER preservative.
They rigorously screen every product...every single batch...THREE TIMES. That makes me feel confident because there's finally a company looking out for our HEALTH!
I learned some interesting facts about a very popular yellow lotion that I used to use in my teens and twenties...maybe you used it too.
About 25% of its ingredients were actually beneficial to our skin. The other 75% of its ingredients were harmful preservatives, silicones and synthetic polymers that make the lotion slip and slide on skin to make it seem hydrating. The majority of the ingredients aren't even usable or beneficial to skin! What??
Our skin is our largest organ. It's needs healthy nutrients too.
This is why I'm LOVING the innovative Countermatch Line by Beautycounter.
100% of its ingredients are usable and beneficial to our skin. 100%.
This is why I consider it NUTRITION FOR MY SKIN. The longer you use it, the better it gets. Plus it bio-mimics skin and delivers exactly what it needs and nothing it doesn't for 24 hours.
Just like we have to FEED our bodies with healthy ingredients, we need to FEED our skin healthy, safer ingredients too.
I hope this helps you understand what matters most when choosing safer products for you and your family.
GIFT WITH PURCHASE (expires April 30, 2018)
When you purchase any Beautycounter products through my link I will give you a FREE full size gift!
These are the best wipes I've ever tried...the material of the wipe is SO soft, it cleanses and removes make up with no rinsing, and leaves my skin feeling amazing. These are PERFECT for travel or after a workout. These are the FIRST biodegradable wipe on the market! I want you to experience these too so take advantage of this awesome freebie from me! (Must purchase $100+ in product before tax + shipping to qualify and this freebie will ship separately from me.)
I also have a promotion going on this month for anyone interested in becoming a business partner of mine. If you'd like to start your own Beautycounter business sharing our mission of getting safer products into the hands of everyone...learn more here. I'm offering 250 beautiful 2-sided business cards from me to start your business off strong! Contact me at email@example.com for more details.
***Read to the end because I tell you how you can get my 4-DAY BEAUTY DETOX PROGRAM for free....
Have you thought about how many personal care products you use every single day?
Are they safe?
There are many ingredients allowed in beauty and skin care products that should never be used:
- harsh sulfates
- artificial fragrances
- mineral oil
- carbon black
WHERE ARE THESE TOXIC INGREDIENTS LURKING? YOU MIGHT BE SURPRISED...
HERE ARE THE 6 WORST OFFENDERS:
1. EYE + FACE CREAMS
2. FACIAL MASKS
3. BODY LOTIONS
READY TO COME CLEAN?
Here's an easy way to get started...and you get your choice of a FREE deluxe sample! ...or 2...or 3!
That's THREE deluxe freebies you can get!!
What's more.....did you know this?
Here's to SWITCHING TO SAFER. I know the thought of it can feel overwhelming. This is a great start.
Time for some truth talk ladies...
I worked for 17 years at a hard job with long hours and zero flexibility. I never felt like I was able to save a dime. There was a ceiling on how much money I could make. I felt stuck..
A few years ago I started working for myself and started Happy WifeStyle.
Last week I was able to take an ‘extra’ $10K and put it in an investment account. I’ve never had a chunk of money to do that with that was MINE. Do you know how that made me feel? It made me feel really EMPOWERED. It made me feel excited...
I don’t tell you this to gloat. No way, that’s not the point. I tell you this to let you know that I wouldn’t have been able to do that if I wouldn’t have taken the job with Beautycounter.
My husband makes a good living. He takes such great care of our family and I love him more than anything. But what if something happened? Last year on of my oldest, dearest friend’s life blew up when her husband of 20 years left without warning and told her he wanted a divorce..
Will that happen to me? No. I absolutely don’t think so. But I have to admit, especially knowing their relationship, can I 100% guarantee that it wouldn’t? No. No I can’t. I can only have complete control over one thing and that’s ME.
Part of the reason I started Happy WifeStyle was to inspire and empower women to want more out of this one life. It’s too short and too many people waste it by just going through the motions…
We need something that is OURS ladies. We need safety and security and purpose to live life the way it’s meant to be lived. I know with everything that I am that my Beautycounter business is that answer for me…and it could be that game-changer for you too.
I have established quite a few streams of income now with my Happy WifeStyle blog, brand and business, but I need to be honest with you and tell you that none of those streams come close to what I make from my Beautycounter business.
If you’ve considered starting your own business but don’t have the confidence to START, or don’t know what you’d do, I’d love to help you.
This company is growing FAST and I am so grateful someone asked me to take this job, so now I’m asking you. Beautycounter is an amazing company doing amazing things, and it’s SO rewarding to work for. We are doing things so differently than any other company out there. We are not just another "beauty company". We’re a B-Corp like Patagonia. We educate about the industry and teach people how to choose safer products for their family. We provide high performing, safer solutions. We advocate for safer beauty laws for ALL beauty brands. We collaborate with big brands like J.Crew, Goop, and Target. We allow people to shop the products the way they choose…not ONLY through consultants. Bono has even an investor with us!
The best part is, this company is not even five years old yet. We are just getting started.
If I can do this you can too. You can work it into your life on your schedule any way you choose…whether you want some extra shopping money or want to replace your income and make it a full time career… You just have to START.
Message me or email me so I can answer your questions. Zero pressure, I’m not doing this for me. I’m posting this for YOU. ...To help YOU feel empowered in your life too. I’m going to succeed in this business with or without you (just being honest). But I’d love to have other inspired, like-minded women on this journey with me. I’d love to chat with you and find out if it’d be a good fit for you. Learn more here and get started, you could be in business and start earning money right away. I look forward to working together!
P.S. If you are local to the northern California area (I'm in Petaluma), I especially would love to talk to you about this as I am in the process of planning in-person get togethers for fellow girl bosses to talk business and ideas to bring Beautycounter into our community! We are better together, let's collaborate!
P.P.S. This opportunity may not be for you, but I know you know someone who would love to know more about this and would like to work with me, so please share this blog post with them. It just might change their life.
**photo by Claire Dobson
BLACK FRIDAY DEALS ARE LIVE for those of you who are early birds and shopping early...read to the bottom for a BONUS gift from me!
1. Cleansing Balm in travel size and 100% muslin cloth in a red box. $38 US and $46 CAN
2. Lash Power Couple - mini Volumizing Mascara and travel Make Up Remover in a red box. $20 US and $24 CAN
*****These are limited quantites and will most likely sell out sometime on Friday.
3. FREE SHIPPING on orders over $100 US and $125 CAN Friday thru Sunday at 11:59pm PST.
4. GiFT WITH PURCHASE! FREE Beautycounter+ Spa Set of choice with any purchase over $250 US and $325 CAN Friday thru Sunday at 11:59pm ($88 VALUE).
Here’s more details on the different Spa Sets to choose from...
This Collection of targeted MASKS, MIST and OILS formulated with SAFER INGREDIENTS to enhance your current skincare regimen! Products to BRIGHTEN, PLUMP and BALANCE the skin.
#1 BRIGHTENING COLLECTION ~ Infused with multi-source VITAMIN C complex, BRIGHTENS dull skin and boosts radiance. Helps MINIMIZE DARK SPOTS for a more even complexion and radiant glow.
#2 PLUMPING COLLECTION ~ Formulated with powerful peony and jasmine essences to RESTORE and FIRM moisture-depleted skin. Helps diminish the appearance of fine lines
#3 BALANCING COLLECTION ~ Infused with ACTIVATED CHARCOAL and ylang ylang to gently refine oily, uneven skin. Charcoal removes excess oil and impurities. This collection works great for ACNE and BREAKOUT PRONE SKIN.
5. EXCLUSIVE BONUS FROM ME ----> ANYONE WHO SHOPS THROUGH MY LINK: https://www.beautycounter.com/shannontaatjes FROM FRIDAY UNTIL MONDAY AND SPENDS AT LEAST $150 (BEFORE TAX) WILL RECEIVE CHOICE OF A FREE CHARCOAL BAR OR A FREE LIP GLOSS OF CHOICE! THIS IS IN ADDITION TO THE DEALS ABOVE!! Just email me your order confirmation to firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know which freebie you want as this one is coming from me. (The other freebies listed above will come straight from Beautycounter.)
6. Oh and don't forget...If you add Band of Beauty Membership to your cart for $29/year you get a FREE Nourishing Cream Cleanser too! It also gets you 15% cash back in product credit every time you shop...free shipping on ALL $100 orders (not just for Black Friday), and exclusive Member Only deals throughout the year! So worth it! Never any auto-ships either! Yay!
ARE YOU COMING TO MY PARTY TODAY TO SHOP WITH ME? See you with a mimosa live at 11am PST if you want to come to my Private Shopping Party on Facebook where I'll be showing you all of the Holiday Sets, doing more FREEBIE Giveaways just for those who attend, and telling you a bit more about the importance of switching to safer skincare and makeup products! Contact me if you want an invitation!