A couple of years ago, I started learning that what I put ON MY BODY (products) was just as important as what I put IN MY BODY (nutrition).
I'm so excited to have found the Countermatch Line, it's what I consider NUTRITION FOR MY SKIN.
As I've swapped out my skincare and makeup to safer options over the past two years, I've learned a lot about what to look for and what matters most when choosing safer products...
At first, I thought NATURAL automatically meant SAFER.
When I first started the search for safer options, I thought if I chose a product that was "natural" or from a totally natural source, it meant it was SAFE. Well, it might be, but not necessarily. Here's why...
The word "NATURAL" doesn't always mean SAFE. This is because natural products aren't standardized and therefore can be a bit of a wildcard.
The biggest complaint about natural products is that they don't perform as well.
Natural products can really vary with their amounts of effective ingredients. That's why the performance isn't usually the same as traditional products. I know when I first started trying natural products, the performance just wasn't there.
Natural products aren't always screened for harmful ingredients, preservatives, or contaminants. These unwanted ingredients can sneak in through the supply chain even if the company has good intentions and no one knows if the product isn't screened for them on a regular basis. The truth is, most of these products are never being screened. If they are being screened, they may be screened ONCE, from one batch, and never again.
That's not good enough for Beautycounter. We are a completely transparent company and consider 1% to be too much when it comes to ingredients like Parabens.
When people ask me if Beautycounter is a completely "natural" brand, the answer is no. Beautycounter is so different because they put SAFETY over SOURCE which allows them to shine in being SAFER AND EFFECTIVE. Let me explain...
Beautycounter uses a small amounts of synthetic preservatives, but ones that are well vetted and won't harm our health. This creates a longer shelf-life and decreases contamination.
The truth is, unlike oil-based products, water-based products have to have a preservative in them for it to be safe for your health. If not, they can become contaminated with bacteria.
This is where Beautycounter really shines. They are able to make SAFER products with HIGH PERFORMANCE because they actually carefully regulate the amounts of the effective ingredients so they actually work like they should! They have mastered the delicate balance of the precise amount of an effective ingredient with the correct amount of a SAFER preservative.
They rigorously screen every product...every single batch...THREE TIMES. That makes me feel confident because there's finally a company looking out for our HEALTH!
I learned some interesting facts about a very popular yellow lotion that I used to use in my teens and twenties...maybe you used it too.
About 25% of its ingredients were actually beneficial to our skin. The other 75% of its ingredients were harmful preservatives, silicones and synthetic polymers that make the lotion slip and slide on skin to make it seem hydrating. The majority of the ingredients aren't even usable or beneficial to skin! What??
Our skin is our largest organ. It's needs healthy nutrients too.
This is why I'm LOVING the innovative Countermatch Line by Beautycounter.
100% of its ingredients are usable and beneficial to our skin. 100%.
This is why I consider it NUTRITION FOR MY SKIN. The longer you use it, the better it gets. Plus it bio-mimics skin and delivers exactly what it needs and nothing it doesn't for 24 hours.
Just like we have to FEED our bodies with healthy ingredients, we need to FEED our skin healthy, safer ingredients too.
I hope this helps you understand what matters most when choosing safer products for you and your family.