We all wish we could find the Fountain of Youth, right? I've always taken pretty good care of myself. That...mixed with good genes, has kept me looking more youthful than I actually am. I'm all about anti-aging because I believe in aging gracefully and don't plan to have cosmetic surgery anytime soon. ...by that I mean ever.
I'm a "healthy food first....supplement as needed" kind of gal, but there is a drink that I concocted myself as my insurance for healthy skin and anti-aging that I drink every day. It's my own Fountain of Youth that I drink to combat aging and ensure my skin stays as youthful looking as possible.
Whenever people hear my actual age, which is 44 by the way, they are usually surprised and I want to keep it that way. I know what supplements I need to keep my skin looking young and combat those pesky signs of aging. I learned a lot about this when I became Nutritious Life Certified. I know that some of the ingredients that can help me keep my youthful appearance, my body doesn't make, so I need to get them from outside sources. This drink ensures I get them every day! I'm a stickler about ingredients though....so it took some research to find reputable sources. I found the best resources for each of these ingredients for you. I've done the research so you don't have to. Just drink up and know you're getting quality with no sugar, chemicals or additives.
These are my "fountain of youth" must-have ingredients and why they're important:
- Antioxidants: By now you probably know that antioxidants are important for anti-aging because they fight free radicals in our bodies. It was important to me to find a supplement with a very high ORAC value with healthy ingredients with no added chemicals or sugar.
- Minerals: Americans are deficient in minerals due to our soils being depleted. We need minerals. Vitamins cannot work properly without them and they are absolutely vital to maintain our mental and physical well being. They help keep the blood and tissue fluids alkaline, help transport nutrients to cells, and help prevent bone loss. Since the body cannot manufacture minerals, they must come from our diet. It was important to me to find a source that I trusted, without any chemicals, added junk, or sugar. I did my research and found an excellent source from 100% sea vegetables (versus minerals derived from rocks) that tastes amazing without anything artificial.
- Collagen: This is all the rage, with good reason. Collagen is kinda the key to the "fountain of youth" that promotes youthful looking skin, healthy hair and strong nails . It also supports bone health, healthy joints, and can help maintain weight. The one I found even promotes healthy immune, digestive, and central nervous systems. It was important to me to find a high quality grass-fed, non-GMO, pure source. The one I found is all of those things and completely tasteless.
- Greens: This is where it can get tricky, because when you start looking for a truly healthy greens blend...you usually lose good taste. I found organic raw greens that are grown in glacial soil and cut at peak harvest before the jointing stage, so you get the best quality greens. They are raw, so they retain more nutrients than cooked greens. This formula I found adds a certified organic blend of reishi, maitake, and shitake mushrooms to provide a vegetarian source of iron and B vitamins, and also a great source of phytonutrients and antioxidants. It also contains Dulse, which is the new hot superfood! What's the best part? It tastes amazing, so it leaves you smiling...rather than gagging. This has a delicious-yet-subtle berry flavor, silky smooth texture, and leaves no "grassy" aftertaste.
- Lemon Juice: Drinking fresh squeezed lemon juice brings a healthy glow to the skin. Lemon juice benefits the enzyme functions in your body, stimulating the liver and flushing out toxins. It's great for detox, digestion, and the Vitamin C, which our bodies don't produce on our own so we have to get it from outside sources. Vitamin C helps the body produce it's own collagen. Great news all around....we need collagen to combat those wrinkles ladies! Lemon juice is simply FAB for aging and health.
Here's how to make my Anti-Aging Drink
- 16 oz water
- 1 scoop Collagen Peptides
- 1 scoop Greens Blend
- 1 scoop Minerals & Antioxidants
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- a couple of ice cubes - if you like it chilled a bit, I do ;)
Place all ingredients in a Blender Bottle or "shaker" with a blender ball and shake well. Perfect for mornings on the go, or you can pour into a pretty glass and enjoy leisurely. I recommend using a good quality Blender Bottle with a metal blender ball. I like this one. They work better and will last longer.
Note: Yes, you must use the exact ingredients in my recipe for it to taste good....and ensure it's non-GMO, chemical-free, sugar-free, gluten-free, preservative-free, and soy-free.
By the look of this dark green drink, it may scare some of you who have tried healthy greens drinks in the past.... because you may recall the nasty taste you had to choke down. I sure had. Nasty tasting drinks don't last long. I get it. No matter how good it is for you, in time it will sit on the shelf and collect dust because it's, well...it doesn't taste good.
I've got great news for you! This combination tastes SO good. I actually look forward to it because it tastes so delicious.
I hope you give it a try and enjoy! Let me know! Here's to aging gracefully.
Here's what people are saying about my anti-aging drink recipe: 'Hey Shannon! I received the products a few days ago and have been using them to make that green drink you posted on Instagram - it is SOO good and I love that it is filled with so many healthy things! I have also noticed an improvement in my skin tone - my mother in law complimented me on it! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe and these products on instagram ;)' -Erin
P.S. When you purchase the ingredients for my Anti-Aging Drink... I'll give you my entire BEAUTY DETOX Program for FREE!