Everyone loves a peanut butter cup. Most people love the salty + sweet mix. Usually these kinds of treats are an unhealthy, sugary indulgence...what if you could get all the flavor without the guilt?
I've got you covered...
Funny how this recipe idea came about. I've been noticing lately that every evening my husband pulls out the almond butter, raw honey, a spoon, and dips a couple of spoonfuls in sea salt and his sweet tooth is satisfied.
I decided to surprise him and create an easy, 3 ingredient treat that was a little more visually appealing. He was THRILLED.
- Almond Butter (heated slightly so it will drizzle) - I used Almond Butter w/ Honey but you can use any healthy almond butter you choose. You can heat starting with it at room temp, and stirring over a double boiler, placing the jar in hot water, or microwaving for a few seconds, stirring as you go until it's a good consistency and will pour.
- Refrigerated Chocolate Hazelnut Butter - no, not Nutella. #sorrynotsorry
- Flake Sea Salt - this is the one I use and I can see why it's a favorite among chefs. I recently had a friend send me this cute little slide tin to try and I'm obsessed with how cute it is, best flake sea salt I've tried. I'm going to keep it for refills for travel!
What you'll need:
- A silicone mold for mini peanut butter cups
- An easy pour funnel (optional, just helps keeps the mess in check!)
- A small baking sheet or cooling rack (optional)
- An airtight container and Parchment Paper (for storage)
- Take about 1 tsp of chilled Chocolate Hazelnut Butter and place it in the bottom of the silicone cups. The mold holds 30 cups, but you can make as many as you want.
- With clean fingers and working quickly before it gets sticky, press your index finger into the center to make a hole and press it firmly against the walls of the mold evenly. See pic below.
- Fill the softened almond butter into the easy pour funnel and drizzle into the cups until full. and level with the tray.
- Crush the flakes of sea salt between your fingers and sprinkle on top of each cup.
- Place on a cooling rack to keep the mold flat and steady and place flat in the freezer for 30-45 mins to set.
- Check one to see if it pops out in one piece by pressing the cup from underneath to essentially turn it inside out. If it does not pop out and it still sticking, stick it back in the freezer until they pop out easily.
- At room temperature, these will get sticky so store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer depending on the consistency you prefer. I separated layers with parchment paper.
- Pop a guilt-free Sweet + Salty Almond Butter Cup in your mouth when you're about to fall face first into a pint of Ben & Jerry's! LOL.
Let me know if you try this "healthier" version of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups with a sweet + salty twist! I hope you love 'em too...just don't eat them all in one sitting. Hint hint. What's cool is that these protein packed bites will keep you full with healthy fats much longer than the sugar-filled originals!
P.S. Looking for other ways to use this amazing Flake Sea Salt? Try it on my Roasted Shishito Peppers recipe!