I've been a fan of blending coconut oil in my coffee for some time now. It has helped a ton to give up cream and sugar in my coffee and makes the black coffee on the Whole30 enjoyable again.
...but I hadn't tried the "official" Bulletproof coffee yet with the Brain Octane in it. Can this really give us superpowers with increased brain health? I honestly thought it was just hype. I thought all coconut oil was the same. While regular coconut oil is fantastic, my husband had looked into it asked me if I'd order some recently, so I did. We've been blending this into our coffee for the past week and we're really liking it.
What's different about Brain Octane? It's the pure Medium Chain Triglycerides extracted from the coconut, so it's super concentrated. It's the only product with 100% C8, so this makes it 18x stronger than coconut oil. So what does this mean?
Brain Octane Oil may provide the following benefits: (from the Bulletproof website)
- Fast Energy - Brain Octane, the shortest of the MCT’s, converts into ketone energy which can be used by the brain, faster than other fats or oils.
- Balancing of yeast in the gut—Studies show that there are gut biome balancing effects of caprylic fatty acids.
- Does NOT Increase Cholesterol – Metabolized differently than other types of fat
- Flavorless and easy to add into diet. Mix into any smoothie, soup, sushi, coffee or most recipes, for more intense mental activity.
- Easy Storage - No refrigeration required and liquid at room temperature
- Contains the most ketogenic MCT in coconut oil, C8, from the heart of the coconut
- Cleaned, extracted and bottled without the use of harsh chemicals
I must admit, I've noticed major increase in my energy level this past week. I do feel more focused. I'm also on the Whole30 right now, so I know from past experience that I get that Tiger Blood energy starting to show up about this time, so it's hard to say what exactly is the cause of my increased energy.
Start out slow if you choose to give this a try, by adding one teaspoon and working your way up to 1 tablespoon. Otherwise you could end up with "disaster pants", it actually says this on the label. LOL. I blend 1 tablespoon into my morning coffee and add a sprinkle of cinnamon and it's really frothy and yummy, even though it's flavorless. You can also add grass fed butter to increase creaminess, but I tend to go without the butter, especially when I'm on Whole30 because dairy is out.
My verdict? I like it. My husband likes it. I'm going to continue to use it. I know that MCTs are good for brain health. I know that by adding healthy fat, it keeps us full and satisfied way longer. For example if we had only carbs for breakfast, like a bagel for example, we get hungry about 2 hours later. By having healthy fat we stay satisfied for 4-5 hours. I've definitely noticed this. That's why people experience weight loss by adding Bulletproof coffee to their life. My advice, just make sure you are getting adequate nutrition by eating healthy, nutritious food....and eating enough. Make this an "add-on" to your healthy lifestyle.
What is my morning routine that I do each and every morning?
I'm 44 years old now and I get asked a lot how I stay looking so young. Part of it is genetics. Thanks mom and dad. The other part is I take good care of myself. Here's my morning routine that I think is great maintenance for anyone.
- GUT HEALTH: Upon waking up, I drink a glass of water with lemon in it. Sometimes it's tea with lemon and ginger if I feel leisurely...but most of the time it's just a glass of water. The lemon is detoxing and drinking water first thing in the morning lubricates our organs and is wonderful for our health. It starts our day off on the right hydrating track. So instead of heading straight for the coffee maker, try this new healthy habit. While drinking this water, I take a daily Probiotic. Our immune system lives in our gut and this will ensure that 80/20 balance of friendly gut bacterial that is essential for our health...and will prevent lifestyle diseases! This is the one I take daily ...I've done my research and it works as it should. Many don't.
- MENTAL HEALTH: I listen to a meditation. Sometimes I listen to a 10 minute Abrahams-Hicks you tube video, sometimes I listen to GraceSpace guided meditations and hypnosis. Don't be afraid of hypnosis. All hypnosis is...is meditation with a goal. Don't knock it until you try it. It can help you overcome A LOT of that shiz that you're carrying around! Try it free for 10 days HERE! It's SO important to start our day with the right mindset. Give it a try;)
- BRAIN HEALTH: I have a cup of coffee with Brain Octane blended in it. I use my little Magic Bullet blender because it's so easy with less mess.
- BODY HEALTH: I exercise. The coffee gives me energy. Sometimes it's a workout DVD, sometimes it's a walk, sometimes it's SUP yoga in my pool. I just go move my body.
- I have 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs (for example when I'm Whole30-ing) or a protein smoothie (when I'm not on Whole30). Since breakfast isn't a time I usually get greens in, I love adding a scoop of this healthy greens blend to my smoothies. It's so easy. This is the protein I use and trust. (I love that it has healthy coconut oil in it instead of any yucky seed oils. It's creamy, smooth, and tastes amazing.)
- Then I'm ready to go about my day! If you're crunched for time, exercise later! You can fit everything else I mentioned here in before you go to work! You just have to get your priorities straight, stop making excuses, and start creating healthy habits! You'll stay full longer. You'll start each day with the right mindset. You'll be doing a TON for your health by ensuring a healthy gut and brain....this is essential as we age!
Here's to aging beautifully + gracefully! I want to hear from you! If you add any of these healthy habits to YOUR morning routine, I want to hear how you like it.
- I am in no way sponsored or payed by Bulletproof. This is a completely unbiased review of their product. There may be other links throughout this post that I may earn a tiny commission if you click and buy. This helps me continue to create free content for you, so I thank you for your support of my website. I ONLY recommend things that I use and love myself.