These Carrot Cake Cupcakes are moist with just the right amount of sweetness. They have a great consistency that are delicious on their own... but if you're looking for that extra special treat, add the lemon-coconut frosting.
CUPCAKES: Makes 12 cupcakes
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups grated carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped raisins or chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/4 cup coconut butter (also known as creamed coconut)
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil, softened
- 1 Tablespoon full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Beat the eggs, honey, coconut oil, and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer on medium speed for about 30 seconds, or use an electric hand mixer.
- Add the coconut flour, baking soda, spices, and salt and beat again to combine fully. Fold in the carrots and, if desired, the raisins or pecans.
- Bake the cupcakes for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack before serving or frosting.
- For the frosting, combine all of the ingredients in a small food processor or in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until smooth. If the frosting is too thin, place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes, then beat again. Top with the shredded coconut.
A couple of notes on my experience....
I happen to always keep a couple of cans of coconut milk in the refrigerator, you know, in case I need to make coconut milk whipped cream.... so I used cold, separated coconut milk. This may have helped my frosting be a thicker consistency.
This is the Creamed Coconut I found...I couldn't find "coconut butter", but found this at Sprouts near the nut butters....I did not melt it before using it. It didn't say, so I just scooped it out solid.
This is how my cupcakes looked while they were cooling. I added raisins and pecans... why not? ;)
Here is how my frosting looked after mixing. I used my Cuisinart food processor. It was a good consistency. The small chunks from the creamed coconut melted and mixed smooth after stirring. I doubled the frosting recipe. It frosted all 12 cupcakes with the amount of the ones in the picture, so I was glad I did;)
I topped with small and large bits of coconut. Enjoy! My husband LOVED these.
-This recipe is from Danielle Walker's newest cookbook "Against All Grain - Meals Made Simple".