This Crockpot Chicken Tomato Soup is perfect for those days you'll be gone all day and want to come home to a hot, delicious home-cooked meal.
It couldn't be easier, you don't even have to thaw the chicken breasts first!
- 4 frozen skinless boneless chicken breasts (if they are extra large, use 2 or 3)
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning (or make your own mix out of oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper spice (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 14oz can full fat, unsweetened coconut milk (shake before adding)
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 small can tomato paste (or about 3oz)
- 1 15oz can tomato sauce
- a few dashes of tabasco or other hot sauce of choice (optional)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Avocado (optional topping)
Put all the above ingredients into the crockpot...
Stir it up to mix...
Cook for 9 hours on low. After 9 hours, take two forks and shred the chicken right in the crockpot. I've also cooked this on high when I'm short on time and cook it about 5 - 6 hours until chicken shreds easily. Sometimes I'll even add some diced potatoes and sliced carrots...you really can't go wrong! Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Serve it up!
Avocado was perfect on top of this Crockpot Chicken Tomato Soup...also a few more dashes of hot sauce really makes it pop... if you like it spicy! :) Enjoy!
The hot sauce I used is from Trader Joe's....it is so good on it, perfection! It's called Jalapeño Pepper Hot Sauce and the ingredients are just red ripened jalapeño peppers, distilled vinegar and salt!
Note: Depending how thick or thin you like this soup, more chicken broth, tomato sauce and coconut milk can be added to thin it out, especially when reheating. It worked great when I reheated it to add a bit of these 3 items to make it the perfect consistency again as it got thicker as it sat... :)