This time of year can do a number on our immune systems. It's the holidays, we're prepping for a brand new year, it's COLD outside....so many things can stress our immune systems. As I scroll through my social media today I'm seeing so many people fighting a nasty bug!
So before you reach for your pain killers, cold meds and flu meds....that are actually hindering your immune system further.... let me share with you my top 5 ways I boost my family's immune system.
As a society, we feel like we have to DO something or TAKE something when we are sick. Trust me, I used to think that same way...until I learned a better way. Our bodies are really smart and we need to start trusting it to heal us. If we block the symptoms by taking meds, our bodies don't heal as quickly because it's no longer getting the message that there's anything wrong....and our immune system doesn't fight as hard as it would without the meds! This slows down the healing process and can come with other unhealthy side effects...
Instead let's focus on boosting our immunity! Here's some healthy ways to boost your immune system and get it to start working FOR you instead of against you:
- Colloidal Silver: This liquid, taste-free dietary supplement works by empowering the immune system and stimulating the body's innate healing processes. A lot of controversy actually surrounds this, but my family swears by it and I always keep in on hand. It's our go-to replacement for antibiotics actually. Yes there's a time and a place for antibiotics, but I avoid them at all costs so unless they are absolutely necessary I choose this. I choose a specific brand that I trust called Sovereign Silver Immune Support and I have it in dropper form and in nasal spray form.
- Greens Blend w/ Immune Boost: We know that healthy dark leafy green keep our bodies healthy, but admit it, how many days a week do you not get enough greens in your diet? Also, with our soils being depleted, sometimes we aren't even getting the nutritional benefit we think we are. I've made a habit of drinking my Greens Blend with added immunity in the morning to make sure I'm starting my day off right. I used to have to choke down gross-tasting greens until I found this one that's raw, certified organic grasses with organic medicinal mushrooms for immunity. It also contains dulse, the superfood of all superfoods. Amazing berry flavor with no grassy taste! I now look forward to sipping these tasty greens;)
- Essential Oils: I was just introduced to using essential oils from a fellow blogger this past year and I love using them. No, I'm not a rep, but yes...I do buy them! I have a Family Essentials Kit by DoTERRA. I love using the "Breathe" when I'm feeling congested and I keep the "On Guard" Protective Blend for Immune Boosting power! I also love the "Deep Blue" for aches and pains. You can find essential oils at your local health stores too. You can ingest some...smell some...and diffuse them into the air!
- Find a good Chiropractor: You notice I said find a good chiropractor. Here's the misconception people have about chiropractic... They think they fix neck pain and back pain. While this is sometimes true, it's not what chiropractic is about. All chiropractic is about, is relieving pinched nerves so your body's nervous system can function at it's full potential...and your body can heal itself. Your nerves go from your spinal column to every single organ in your body and when a nerve is pinched, even a little, that area of your body will be sicker. Think of it like a garden hose that you kink, the flow is cut off. When that pressure is released, that area will "flow again" and will be healthier. Every. Single. Time. That's why chiropractic is the ultimate prevention for your entire family and can definitely be a huge IMMUNE booster. Not enough people realize this. They see a chiropractor when they have neck or back pain. They don't realize it can be the best preventative measure you can do for your entire health. If you find a chiropractor that isn't chasing pain symptoms and is focused on corrective care and prevention....you've found a keeper.
- Say NO to sugar: Sugar feeds disease. Sugar is not good for our immune system. You can bet that's why even more people tend to catch that "bug" that's going around during the holidays with all those holiday sweets around! It's a great time of year to say NO to sugar so you have a stronger immune system. According to study done by Loma Linda University, when you eat 100 grams of sugar, your white blood cells are 40 percent less effective at killing germs. This can cripple your immune system for up to 5 hours after eating sugar! (A bonus for you to eliminate if you want to up your health game even more....DAIRY!)
Now I'm not saying our family never gets sick, but it's few and far between. Even our kids have hardly ever gotten sick and when they do they bounce back QUICK. By focusing on prevention and keeping our immune systems strong all year long, I can see such a difference in my immune system from when I was a child. I was a very sick child. I always had a cold, missed a TON of school because of it, and had chronic, painful ear infections for years. I ended up on a lot of antibiotics, and had surgery at 8 yrs old to remove my tonsils, adenoids, and had tubes put in my ears. I'm so happy I've learned healthy ways to keep my immune system stronger.
Ok guys, those are my Top 5 Healthy Immune Boosters! Stay healthy this holiday season and I'll see you in 2017!
P.S. Make sure you're in my private Facebook community for a super healthy 2017....where we will be focusing on a new healthy topic each and every month all year long!
- Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor and the opinions in this blog post are exactly that...my opinions. I hope these tips help you and your family find even more ways to boost your health, but always consult your doctor if you have questions.