What is Paleo? Some think it's a diet where you eat a ton of meat. Some think it's okay to eat nothing but pre-packaged food as long as it says "Paleo" or "Gluten-Free" on the label. There's a lot more to it than that...
I've approached Paleo as a lifestyle, not a "fad" diet, which is the way it was intended. It's about providing our bodies with REAL food that is grown and raised in a healthy environment and therefore nourishing our bodies. It's about living a healthy lifestyle in ALL ways, not just the food we eat. Click to learn more about my "Healthy WifeStyle", where I talk about the "five facets of health" that I believe are so important. The Paleo lifestyle fits into that model perfectly. Start small, stick to the basics of Paleo at first so your body can adjust, because for some this may be a shock to your metabolism…give it a chance to adjust. Listen to your body. So if you are new to this lifestyle...
What are acceptable foods?
- Fresh fish and seafood
- Fresh meats (preferably grass-fed/pastured)
- Fresh fruit (limited because fruits are high in sugar…berries are great!)
- Fresh vegetables (eat unlimited greens, greens, greens, organic is best)
- Eggs (pasture-raised)
- Healthy fats (olive oil, coconut oil, ghee)
- Nuts and seeds (limited amount, raw is best)
What foods to avoid?
- Processed foods
- Refined sugar
- Dairy (I avoid all dairy EXCEPT plain greek yogurt and goat cheese)
Visit my "Paleo Pantry" list to help get started!
This would be a great 30-Day Discipline to try to see if the Paleo Lifestyle is for you! Let your body THRIVE! You just might notice your waistline shrinking, your mind getting clearer, your energy level skyrocketing….and want to make it your lifestyle too!
Here's my convenient PALEO SHOPPING LIST!