Tonight I was searching for something to make for our Whole30 Day 18 dinner... I had chicken soup on my mind, it just sounded yummy. I found this recipe for Paleo Cream of Chicken Soup and I had all the ingredients...perfect!
I was able to whip this up in about 30 minutes. It makes about 6 servings, so I cut this recipe in half tonight because it's just my husband and I. Now that I know how good it tastes...I'll make the full recipe next time and save the rest. :)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, olive oil (I used coconut oil)
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup arrowroot
- 1/2 cup cool water
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt (less if your broth is salted)
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded (I used shredded Rotisserie...so easy!)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (1 can unsweetened full-fat canned or homemade)
- Place oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the celery and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally until soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add broth. Place the arrowroot and 1/2 cup cool water in a small bowl or jar and whisk or shake to combine. Add to pot along with parsley, thyme, bay leaf, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until bubbly and thickened.
- Reduce heat, just enough to maintain a boil, and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Stir in coconut milk and chicken and heat through. This is a fairly thick soup; if you like it thinner, add more water, broth, or coconut milk and heat through. Remove bay leaf just before serving. Leftovers may be frozen.
Step 2...& 3
Finished! My husband loved this homemade Paleo Cream of Chicken Soup! Next time I might put some diced avocado on top and maybe a little cilantro! This definitely is not thecanned Cream of Chicken Soup you may remember as a kid! This is the real deal. :)
-This recipe is originally from everyoneeatsright.com.