These Seared Ahi Tuna Steaks are so tender and delicious. Easy too... here's what you'll need...
- 2 large Ahi Tuna Steaks
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp ghee
- Dipping sauce: Coconut Aminos & Wasabi Powder (optional)
1. Pat the tuna steaks dry. Sprinkle with the salt and cayenne pepper on both sides.
2. Heat the olive oil and ghee over medium high heat. I used a thin cast iron pan. Once hot, add the peppercorns and cook for about 5 minutes...until they start to soften and pop open. I like to crush the peppercorns with the metal spatula.
3. Add the tuna steaks and cook for 1 1/2 minutes per side for rare.
4. Remove from pan and slice them 1/4 inch thin with a sharp knife.
These seared ahi tuna steaks will be crusted on the outside and rare on the inside...just like you'd be served in a restaurant... :)
For a wonderful Dipping Sauce that will make you feel like you're in a sushi restaurant.... mix a desired amount of wasabi powder into coconut aminos!
-Note: when preparing this dish and cooking it rare, sushi grade tuna is recommended. I found these Wild Ahi Tuna beauties at Costco.