Who doesn't love those famous boxes of Girl Scout cookies? I happened to be a "Bluebird" back in the day. Ah, to be a Bluebird back in the late 70's in L.A.. If I remember right, Bluebirds became Camp Fire Girls and Brownies became Girl Scouts. Why did I choose one organization over the other? I like to think is was my young fashion sense... The Bluebird uniforms were way cuter, period. My Bluebird uniform was red, white and blue, tailored, and came with a cute little cap. Brownies uniforms were...well, brown. Anyway....I do remember selling boxes of cookies and I knew how to get it done quick!
I grew up near UCLA and my mom would take me to "sorority row" and I would go door to door in my smart looking Bluebird uniform and red knee-high socks pulled up high and I'd be out of cookies in no time flat!!
These cookies remind me of those coconut ones....what are they called? Samoas?
These are TASTY, HEALTHY, CHEWY, EASY and HOMEMADE!
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tablespoon raw honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degreees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. (This was my first time using my new one!)
- In a large bowl, stir together the coconut, coconut sugar, coconut oil, honey, egg, and vanilla extract. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop the dough by the heaping Tablespoon and form into balls and flatten into flat disks. They will be sticky... just press it into the best circular shape you can;) Makes 12.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Let cool before handling.
Even though my cookie peddling days are over...I'm happy I can still enjoy these! It being #ThrowBackThursday and all.... I'll leave you with a visual...don't laugh, you know you have embarrassing photos from your youth too;)
-This recipe is based on a recipe from Primal Cravings...I just changed it a little.