Lemon Bars are so delicious. Paleo Lemon Bars are even better because they're minus the guilt! Those of you who read my blog regularly know that I'm doing a 30 Day Discipline right now along with the TODAY Show. My #30DayDetox is NO CHOCOLATE! I'm on Day 4 and needed a sweet treat, so I decided to make these Paleo Lemon Bars! I'm so glad I did...because these goodies made me not miss chocolate one bit!
- 4 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour or arrowroot starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (grade B) or honey
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9×13 pan with coconut oil. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, then press into the greased 9×13 pan. Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, until beginning to turn golden brown. While that’s cooking, prepare lemon topping:
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup (grade B) or honey
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (for me that was 3 lemons)
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 5 Tbsp tapioca flour or arrowroot starch
- Beat together all ingredients. When the crust is ready, pour the lemon topping over the crust (note: it will be liquid), then bake another 20 minutes or so, until set. For best results, chill before serving.
A few notes on my experience... My crust was very soft, so I ended up sprinkling in more almond flour until I felt it was the right consistency to "press into the pan". Also, my crust was thicker than my topping. With that said....it turned out amazing. I just wanted to mention it in case that happened to you. I don't think you can go wrong with these. :)
I must admit, I used to make Lemon Bars for my stepsons when they were younger who loved them and I would buy the "boxed" lemon bars. That's all I've made before, so I wanted to compare what's actually in the traditional ones...take a peek:
Traditional Lemon Bar Recipe from All Recipes: 1 cup butter, softened 1/2 cup white sugar 2 cups all-purpose flour4 eggs 1 1/2 cups white sugar 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 2 lemons, juiced
Do you see all that white sugar and white flour!!?? Wow! Makes me so happy I've found Paleo in my life!!
Ok, back to the Paleo version...keep them in the fridge, covered. They will last in the fridge for about 5 days...but I'm willing to bet they won't last that long;) My stepson goes back to college in two days....he got to be my taste tester. He loved these!!!
I found this wonderful Paleo Lemon Bar recipe on the Life Made Full website.