I made these "Real Deal"... Paleo Chocolate Chip cookies and they did not disappoint! They would've fooled anyone into thinking they were the traditional full-of-sugar variety!! My stepson ate them up and said they should be called the "dunking cookie" because they are SO good dunked in almond milk!
I found this recipe in my "Against All Grains" cookbook and it says it's one of her all-time favorites among her readers....so I had to give it a try!! I just tweaked it a little. This is the closest you'll come in my opinion to those homemade cookies everyone grew up on! :)
- 1/4 cup palm shortening (I couldn't find this so I used coconut oil "sticks")
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut crystals (coconut sugar)
- 2 Tablespoons raw honey
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate pieces
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the shortening and egg in a food processor and process for 15 seconds... I used my Vitamix.
- Add the coconut crystals, honey, and vanilla extract. Process again until combined.
- Add the flours, baking soda, and salt and process for 30 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides and pulse again if necessary to fully incorporate the dry ingredients.
- Stir the chocolate in by hand.
- Use a large Tablespoon to scoop balls of the dough, placing them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly press them down to flatten, making disks about 1/2" thick.
- Optional.....I SPRINKLED A LITTLE BIT OF SEA SALT ON TOP BEFORE BAKING...JUST A LITTLE;)
- Bake for 10 minutes, until the cookies are browned around the edges. Cool on a wire rack.
Once they are baking in the oven....this is a good time to tidy up that mess!! :)
Here's how mine turned out...they did not last long because it only makes about one dozen! My husband loved the sea salt on top!
I think these paleo chocolate chip cookies were amazing!!!! They DID taste like the "Real Deal"...GREAT dunked in unsweetened almond milk!! You're welcome;)