Trust me, this serves 4, but you'll want to double the recipe! Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
You will need:
- 2 medium zucchini
- 3/4 grass-fed ground beef (ground turkey, or any quality ground meat will work)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup green peppers, chopped
- 1 cup of raw cheese or goat cheese, shredded (today I used a mixture of goat cheddar and sheep Pecorino Romano which is kind of salty like parmesan...I used to only find it at Whole Foods and now they have it at Trader Joe's!)
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste - if you make your own, great, otherwise get a good organic canned one.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Wash the zucchini and trim the ends off. Cut them in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp, leaving 1/2 inch shell. I use a sharp spoon because it fits perfectly...keep the pulp!
Butter or grease a baking dish - 8 x 8 or 9 x 13 depending on how many you're making. I love this coconut oil spray...
Place the zucchini shells in the dish...
Finely chop the pulp from the zucchini. Brown the meat in a skillet along with the pulp, onion, mushrooms and peppers until browned. Drain the fat. Remove from the heat. Add 1/2 cup cheese and the tomato paste, sea salt and pepper. Mix well. Spoon the mixture into the zucchini shells, packing it in each one and then adding the remainder over the top...it's okay if the filling covers the shells...the extra is good!! Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Try to keep the boats upright when serving;) It can be a little tricky, if you need to, cut them in half and they'll be easier to serve. Enjoy!!
Oh, by the way....I've made these stuffed zucchini without the cheese and I must admit, with this one....cheese makes it SO much better, so go for it! :)