Since today was a little cloudy outside, it put me in the mood to make this yummy, creamy pumpkin soup that my family loves. I headed off to Sprouts this morning to get a couple of ingredients I was missing...
I was so excited to find the canned pumpkin I needed in these awesome BPA-free lined cans! I hope this is something we see more and more of!!
At the checkstand, the sweet lady was scanning my pumpkin and coconut cream, etc…she asked, "Wow, what are you making?" I told her and she said how good it sounded and that she'd have to look online for a recipe like that! So I told her exactly where to find it…right here! So, I'm making sure I get this blog post done just for her;) Here's what you'll need...
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth (organic)
- 3/4 cup coconut cream (this comes in a can, not milk)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (the canned one, not the carton)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped green chilies (I looked for fresh and could only find peppers, so I got the canned. I got "Hot" because I like spicy!)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Saute' the onion in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, pumpkin, ginger, garlic, broth, coconut cream and coconut milk. Combine until thoroughly heated through.
- Place mixture into a Vitamix. (I haven't tried this in a regular blender, but I'm sure it would work great. You could also use an Immersion or Stick Blender.) Add chilies and lemon juice and put the lid on.
- If you have a Vitamix with the Pre-Programmed settings, select "Puree". Switch to start and let it complete the programmed cycle. If not, blend until smooth. In the Vitamix, it often comes out warm! Otherwise transfer to a pan and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- For an appetizing presentation, garnish with chopped parsley!
Makes 8 cups.
Serve it alongside a salad and you've got a very satisfying meal on a cloudy day! Kind of makes you feel like curling up on the couch with a blanket and a good book doesn't it? Enjoy!
I made it with amazingly tasty Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Bites as appetizers...Yum.
I got this recipe form the cookbook "Create".